How to create a travel themed wedding
In recent weeks, we’ve been collaborating with other wedding suppliers to arrange photoshoots to show off what we do in a more effective way than we can achieve at a wedding fair.
There’s lots of ways to theme a wedding: colour, era, hobby to name three. This Perfect in Pink photo shoot is an example of the first of those. Coming soon are some themed photo shoots around different historical eras. So watch this space to see how we styled a venue for the 1960s and the 1930s.
But in this blog we’re concerning ourselves with creating a travel theme in your wedding venue. This is a fun theme to create if you’re a globe-trotting loving couple. It’s one that can be done equally well if you’re on a budget or if you’ve got cash to splash.
Budget ways to create a travel themed wedding
As with creating any venue décor hiring decorative elements can save you a whole heap of money. Here at the Fab Gift Boutique we’ve got some great stuff for you to hire for a cost-effective way to travel the world at your wedding:
- Vintage suitcases: stacked in a corner these battered suitcases will evoke a sense of journeys undertaken. And the one you’re about to undertake as man and wife. You can put them to good use as a repository for your cards and small gifts or simply have them as decoration.
- Vintage style globe: or any globe for that matter. Ours spins on its wooden base so you and your guest can travel the world without leaving the venue.
- Message in a bottle: available in our gift section this personalized message in a bottle adds to the travel theme.
Things you can beg, borrow and cadge to add to your travel theme
Scour charity shops and car boot sales, ask friends and neighbours if they have any of the following:
- Vintage cameras.
- Guide books and phrase books
- Maps and atlases
- Travel posters and bunting
- Travel writing books
- Vanity cases
- Old passports
- Old tickets and boarding passes
- Bunting and flags of the world
- Compasses, telescopes and binoculars
Any or all of the above will be pretty cheap to get hold of and even cheaper if you can borrow them.
Round it all off with a cake in the form of suitcases! This one is from the Cake Store in London: https://www.thecakestore.co.uk/suitcase-cake/ And this Pinterest page has loads of suitcase cake suggestions. Or take flight with a cake in aeroplane form.
Creating a travel themed venue decor with more cash to splash
We’ve travelled the World Wide Web with the Fab Gift Boutique mouse and keyboard and sourced you some brilliant ideas to travel themed venue decor for your wedding or party.
Buzzfeed has 27 travel-inspired wedding ideas – so here’s our top picks from that article. If you’re clever at crafts you may well be able to reproduce some of them yourself.
- Have the bridesmaid carry vanity cases instead of bouquets. So much the better if you can get hold of vintage ones. But any vanity cases will be fine. They don’t need to match. Go for an eclectic look.
- Instead of confetti make paper punches from maps. These would be great sprinkled on the tables at the reception too.
- Make a bouquet out of maps.
- If your wedding is a destination wedding make a signpost of the places where guests have travelled from.
- Use airmail stickers and Par Avion stationery for your invitations.
- Use luggage tags/labels as place settings.
Here again Pinterest is a rich source of travel theme ideas.
If you’ve got some ideas for a travel themed venue decor for your wedding or party and you want some help putting them into practice then speak to us! We love bouncing ideas around and seeing what we can do to make a plan come together.
The Fab Gift Boutique has done its share of travelling and living abroad so we’re more than up to the job of being your travel courier.
You can find us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. INSERT LINKS
Drop by and say hello. Or Hola, bonjour or buongiorno.
Until next time,
Are you thinking of a vintage style wedding? Here are some inspirtional ideas to style a 60s vintage themed wedding
Happy reading and we would love to hear your plans for your vintage themed wedding.